Remembrance Day is fast approaching and here in Hamilton, there are many ways to pay tribute to those who gave their lives for our country and honour those who continue to serve in the armed forces.
On November 8 at 7 p.m., head to Murray Ferguson Room at the Ancaster Public Library for "A Canadian Story: Letters from Homefront and the Trenches". This fascinating talk, presented by the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, will focus on the letters exchanged between a father and son during WWI. Speaker Mike Street will lead the talk.
The Hamilton Military Museum will honour the commitment of the many men and women who work every day toward the goal of peace during the" We Remember" event, taking place November 10 – 12 from 12 – 4 p.m. Guests are invited to make a poppy for the remembrance board at the Museum. Admission is free. Visit www.hamilton.ca/militarymuseum for more information.
On Saturday, November 11, the Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra presents Hamilton Remembers: Saluting Hamilton's Veterans. In this powerful musical evening, the community comes together to acknowledge Remembrance Day and Hamilton's history. The show will take place at FirstOntario Centre at 7:30 p.m. with a pre-concert talk beginning at 6:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased online at www.hpo.org.
On Saturday, November 11, Remembrance Day Services will be held at:
- Veterans' Place at Gore Park: 10:45 a.m.
- Old Town Hall, 310 Wilson Street East, Ancaster: 10:30 a.m.
- Royal Canadian Legion, Beverly Branch 500, Lynden: 10:30 a.m.
- Dundas Cenotaph, Dundas Community Centre: 10:30 a.m.
- Stoney Creek Cenotaph, King Street and Highway 8: 10:30 a.m.
- Royal Canadian Legion Waterdown Branch 55: 10:45 a.m.
- Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, 9280 Airport Road Mount Hope: 10:30 a.m. (Arrive early for seating). Museum aircraft will perform a fly past for the service.
Also on Saturday, November 11, a Remembrance Day Parade will take place in downtown Hamilton beginning at 10:45 a.m. at the John Weir Foote V.C. Armoury on James Street North. All are welcome to honour Hamilton's veterans and service men and women before attending a Remembrance Day service at the cenotaph in Veterans' Place at Gore Park. For more information about this event, call 905-546-4646.
See All Blog Posts